The purpose of this assignment is for students to effectively gather and use well-known identifiable information information about a specific artist’s style to create a composition recreating a well-known package design (candy bar) . The candy bar should be easily recognized by the artists’s style. For example, Georges Seurat – pointillism.
Assignment 1_Research: Research your artist. Keep images and Word doc in “Product Design_artists last name”. Develop an understanding of a “famous” artist’s techniques and style. Once you have chosen an artist let your Instructor know – everyone chooses a different artist to research.
- Save 10 or more reproductions of that artists work for reference in a folder “__artists last name”__)images.
- Read through at least two articles about this art and their particular – unique – style and approach to their art that makes their art work unique style-wise.
- On a Word doc copy the url addresses of these articles and images.
- In your own words write out three sentences explaining your intentions in redesigning this candy bar label in the style of your chosen artist.
Pablo Picasso(1881) Salvador Dali (1904) Vincent Van Gogh (1853) Romare Bearden (1912) Chuck Close (1940) Rene Magritte (1898) Andy Warhol (1928) Annie Leibovitz(1949) David Hockney(1937) Jean Michel Basquiat (1960) Lichtenstein (1923) Henri de Toulouse Lautrec (1864) Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss) (1904) Richard Diebenkorn (1940) Jasper Johns(1930) Man Ray(1890) MC Escher (1898) Georgia O’Keeffe (1887) Norman Rockwell (1894) Keith Haring (1982) Wayne Thiebaud (1964) Jacob Lawrence (1995)
Assignment 2: Now that you have an understanding of your artist, create a marketable item – a candy bar label – that reflects the artist’s style. Use the same name for the candy bar (“Nut Goodies”), similar layout and words (overall basic layout design) but adjust the typography and overall “look” of the wrapper to reflect the art style of the artist. Example: Romare Bearden (images seen at here) would be all in collage. Create the label in PhotoShop. Create two layouts – two different ideas before completing the final version.
Upload your final completed design to your web page.
Assignment 3: In InDesign to create the magazine ad for the new “artist name” Nut Goodies Candy Bar.
To begin create three different layout ideas (proposals) – vertical 8 1/2 x 11”, full color, 4 side bleed, two type fonts (max). Your magazine ad must have a slogan (title) with 200 word body copy about the artist. The Ad must include the following:
- An image of your candy bar label
- A “catch phrase”(title) – Slogan – a memorable phrase that will sum up the tone and premise of the product or to reinforce the audience’s memory of a product
- Brief overview (200 words) about the artist and their unique artwork.
- 1 image of the artist (portrait or working in their studio) and 1 image of the artist’s artwork (used for 4-side bleed background).
- References for the artwork at the bottom of the ad (as disclaimer). References include the artist’s name and title of the art work.
Your marketable item (candy bar) and slogan must be the “emphasis” on the page – the point of focus.. drawing in the viewers’ attention as it tells the viewer what is being sold.
Use the “grid” to clarify your page. Establish bleed, margins and columns (with gutters) with your document setup.