Study the Islamic design used in ancient architecture
Prepare four 6′ x 6″ x 1/2″ clay tiles by rolling out clay between 1/2″ wooden rails.
1. Lightly sketch a design or image onto soft lino-block using a soft pencil. Carve the design. Varying the lines depths and widths will help make a more unique and interesting block. Be sure not to carve completely through.
2. Using a sponge apply glazes only to the high points of the decorated side of block. Multiple colors could be applied during the same printing.
3. Lightly press the block onto a bisque tile or flat section of a plate or bowl. Additional colors or underglaze highlights may be painted onto the design.
4. Re-apply colors for additional prints or to create a repeating pattern.
5. Once the underglazes are dry, clear glaze may be brushed on before glaze firing.