Understanding and owning our history helps us all move forward in a good way. People have struggled to do this forever. Sometimes it helps to have a “memory” piece or small item to remind us that we can make it – others have made it and we will too!
Assignment – We are going to sew a small leather pouch with beaded edge. Sometimes folks call these small leather pouches medicine pouches.
Traditionally medicine pouches would carry herbs and/or medicine (sage, tobacco, cedar, sweetgrass to smudge and give back to Mother Earth) that the carrier would use to connect with the spiritual world, the Creator. The bag could also include personal possessions such as belongings of family members or special mementos.
You can use this pouch for whatever you choose.
Participate in the demonstration and safety discussions before beginning project.
- Sew the two pieces of leather together, using the whip stitch and Glover’s needle. Your Instructor will “knot the ends” Keep even small stitches throughout.
- Using a beading needle create the scalloped beaded edge. Watch demonstration. Keep stitches even and close together.
- Using the beading needle, add a scalloped edge – 2+ colors, around the entire outer lower edge and upper flap.Watch demonstration.
- Add closing flap and neck strap by fitting leather straps through slits provided.
- Write your name of paper and put inside the closed pouch to be graded.